Trusted Business Lawyers in Edmonton
At Forum Law our team of lawyers takes commercial, corporate and business law seriously. After all, we are a business ourselves and understand from the experience of starting our own local business the steps, issues, complications, and adversity that every company faces when getting started and managing day-to-day operations. When you need realistic and comprehensive advice on all legal matters about your business, you can trust us to act in your best interests as your corporate business lawyer.
Book a consultation with a business lawyer now!
What is corporate & business law?
Whether you’re starting a new business, growing an established one, or entering into a commercial purchase and sale transaction, having the proper corporate and business lawyer at your side to advise you on all legal issues you might encounter is essential. At Forum Law, we work diligently to protect your assets and ensure you can grow your investments with minimal risk. Our experience and knowledge benefits companies in every field, including:
- Doctors: A law firm can help doctors navigate complex healthcare laws, manage practice agreements, and defend against malpractice claims.
- Dentists: For dentists, legal expertise is crucial for practice acquisitions, partnership contracts, and navigating dental board regulations.
- Veterinarians: Veterinarians can benefit from legal guidance on practice management, animal welfare legislation, and business expansion strategies.
- Optometrists: Optometrists require legal assistance for compliance with health care laws, professional liability, and retail aspects of their practice.
- Restaurants: Restaurants need lawyers for issues like licensing, lease agreements, employment law, and health and safety regulations.
- Hospitality: The hospitality sector relies on legal services for property management, liability issues, and regulatory compliance.
- Education: Educational institutions can use legal support for governance, policy development, employment issues, and student rights.
- Finance: In finance, law firms provide advice on regulatory compliance, financial transactions, corporate governance, and risk management.
- For other businesses, a law firm offers tailored advice on contract law, dispute resolution, intellectual property, and corporate structuring.
Each sector benefits from specialized legal knowledge that helps navigate their unique challenges and regulatory landscapes.
How does it work?
The role of a corporate & commercial lawyer is to assist clients when navigating any and all issues related to the business world. This could involve (but is not limited to) tax reform, deregulation, globalization, and managing trade relationships between two differing regions.
Our team of corporate lawyers are also business owners themselves, and bring to the table the business and legal experience necessary to provide realistic and comprehensive advice to all business owners.
Differences between commercial and corporate lawyers
Our legal team adeptly handles both corporate and commercial law, providing essential advice for transactions and disputes. We support any civil litigation and corporate law needs, offering convenience for business owners who require guidance in these areas.
- Corporate Lawyers – Handle all company operations, including formation, changes, capital, profits, and liquidation.
- Commercial Lawyers – Commercial Lawyers – Deal with transactions like business sales, employment contracts, financing, leasing, and dispute litigation.
Services we provide
Owning and running a business can be unpredictable. Changes in consumer trends, the financial outlook, and world events will heavily influence how the company performs and the steps you need to take to manage change. Having a team of expert business lawyers on your side familiar with your company and ones you can trust will help you navigate business operations more smoothly. Forum Law is here to act as your trusted corporate advisor. We can assist with:
- Business Purchases and Sales (Asset and Share Transactions)
- Commercial Real Estate Purchases and Sales
- Commercial Financing (for Lenders and Borrowers)
- Commercial Leasing (for Landlords and Tenants)
- Franchise Law (for Franchisors and Franchisees)
- Joint Venture, Partnership, and Shareholder Agreements
- Other Contract Drafting including Employment, Consulting and Confidentiality Agreements
- Islamic/ Sharia Compliant Financing, Halal Mortgages
- Corporate Governance, Management, and Organizational Matters
- Business Succession Planning
- Mergers, Acquisitions, and Reorganizations
- Minute Book Maintenance and Storage
STEP 1: How Can I Acquire a Business?
You can acquire a business through either an asset purchase or a share purchase. An asset purchase involves acquiring a collection of assets and rights relating to the business. In contrast, a share purchase consists of the buyer acquiring the shares in the company which carries on the business. Both can achieve broadly the same objective, but there are fundamental legal differences, including risk and tax consequences. Typically, the buyer prefers an asset sale and the seller prefers a share sale. In an asset sale, the buyer assumes only specific liabilities, so there is generally less risk. In a share sale, only a certain amount of capital gain is included in seller’s income and the rest is not subject to tax.
STEP 2: How Can I Start a Business?
You can start a business in Alberta by first developing a solid business plan, then registering a unique business name, choosing the appropriate legal structure, and obtaining the required permits and licenses. Additionally, you will need to set up a business bank account, secure financing if needed, consider insurance needs, understand business tax obligations, create a marketing strategy, and if hiring, adhere to employment standards.
STEP 3: What Should I Do if I Want to Sell a Business?
To sell a business in Alberta, first assess your business’s value and prepare detailed financial records to present to potential buyers. Advertise the business for sale and negotiate terms with interested buyers. Once a suitable offer is accepted, finalize the legal and financial arrangements, including transfer of ownership and assets. Ensure you comply with tax and legal requirements throughout the process. Hiring a corporate lawyer for a complex business sale is advisable.
STEP 4: Can You Assist me in Filling my Corporation’s Annual Returns?
Yes, our corporate and business lawyers at Forum Law can help ensure accurate and timely completion of your corporation’s annual returns. They will gather necessary information, navigate legal requirements, and file the returns on your behalf. Their expertise ensures compliance with regulations, while reducing the risk of errors and penalties.